Jay Baruchel Talks 'Jay And Seth Vs. The Apocalypse'

1/23/2010 Posted by Admin

By our guest blogger, Matt Jussim

A few years ago, a short video featuring Jay Baruchel and Seth Rogen as roommates fighting the apocalypse became a huge hit on the Internet, eventually getting Mandate Pictures to option the idea as a feature.

But ever since there hasn’t been much news on the project, and both Baruchel and Rogen have been very busy. Baruchel is starring in “She’s Out of My League,” due out March 12, 2010, while Rogen has been busy working on “The Green Hornet,” which also will be released later this year.

"Jay And Seth Vs. The Apocalypse" centered on two degenerates trapped inside a home in the midst of an apocalypse while they struggle to put up with the squalor around them and each other.

Baruchel spoke with io9 recently and revealed some details about the upcoming feature adaptation of the short. He divulged some details about when production will begin, and also about some interesting celebrity cameos.

Said Baruchel: "We kind of have more grandiose ideas for what the feature would be. The one thing that I can say--that was my pitch, my idea, that I think we'll end up doing, because it would be foolish not to--I want a recurring joke, because it takes place in Los Angeles, and there's a lot of famous people in Los Angeles, I want a bunch of cameos, but I just want them to be corpses. I want them to be like "Oh God, there's Will Smith's dead body in the corner!" And it would actually be him. So that's my recurring joke for the movie--I want there to be a lot of dead famous people in it."

Baruchel also said that one of the hardest parts about getting the project off the ground is finding time fitting into his and Rogen’s busy schedules.

Said Baruchel: "Seth and I have a lot of things going on, so we just got to figure out a time in the year where it makes sense for us to carve our at least six months to do it. Seth just finished 'The Green Hornet,' he’s producing 'I'm With Cancer' right now. We have a hockey movie we're trying to do [The Goon]. So, it's a toss-up [as to] which one goes first, and I've already said too much in other interviews, which have made myself and Seth look like an ass. But ideally, we start putting it all together. I'd say that we at least start making the thing in some capacity by the end of this year."

Vague, but at least he said it’s this year. Either way, if this project gets off the ground, it could end up being hilarious. Both Rogen and Baruchel are young, talented comedians and their original short was hilarious. If you haven’t seen it, check it out, because it will make you hope that they get this film made.

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments: