American Idol: Episode 35 of Season 9: The Results

4/30/2010 Posted by Admin

American Idol: Episode 35 of Season 9: The Results

And Then There Were Five

By our guest blogger, Catherine Fuentes


The high point of Wednesday’s "American Ido"l result show? Seeing Lady Antebellum perform. I’ve been following the buzz on them for a while, but admittedly was not as familiar with their music as I could be. To me, they gave the performance of the night. As I’ve stated before, I think that the Results show is a waste of 55 minutes of television, but thanks to Lady Antebellum, tonight was only a waste of 50.

The low point? Saying goodbye to Siobhan.

I’ve been Siobhan’s champion for the duration of this competition. I love the power of her voice, her quirkiness, and her willingness to take risks and have fun with music in a way that no other contestant in the competition does. Without her, I feel the show will be seriously missing out on energy and talent that it so desperately needs.

I disagreed with 2/3 of the Bottom Three – the 2/3 who became the Bottom Two, no less. Big Mike, Casey James and Siobhan received the least amount of votes, and Casey and Siobhan made up the Bottom Two. The way my favorites stack up, I couldn’t have imagined a worse Bottom Two, and honestly, unless there were to be a Casey/Crystal Bottom Two, I will never be as nervous and bothered by a potential elimination as I was with this one.

Crystal faltered in a big way on Tuesday night and Lee was right behind her, but the results show proved just how much the public is rooting for them. Neither was in the bottom, while based on last night alone, both deserved to be joining Mike. Unless either were to seriously falter in the coming weeks, I think they’ve punched their tickets to the Top Three.

Casey and Mike will probably be at risk moving forward, since I think they don’t have as much fan support as the others. I feel that both can conceivably have good nights with next week’s theme, although they need to both give the performances of their lives in order to have some modicum of safety.

I don’t know why I’m as excited for next week’s show as I am, because deep down, I think it has trouble written all over it. Next week the Top 5 will be tackling the songs of Frank Sinatra with mentor Harry Connick Jr. I don’t think it’s a particularly great match up vocally for any of the remaining contestants, but I’m really curious to see how they work with that and hear what song each chooses.

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments: