Interview Part II: Devon Bostick of George A. Romero's "Survival of the Dead"

4/28/2010 Posted by Admin

Interview: Part II

Devon Bostick

By our guest blogger, Joel Crabtree


At age 18, actor Devon Bostick's star is rising. Just within the past few years, he has starred in the successful horror franchise "Saw," worked with prolific Canadian writer-director Atom Egoyan, and gained a massive following of kids with his role as the evil older brother Rodrick in "Diary of a Wimpy Kid."

What more could an up-and-coming actor ask for? How about another chance to work with legendary filmmaker George Romero?

Bostick's latest film, "Survival of the Dead," is his second go-around with Romero (he had a small part in 2005's "Land of the Dead"). The Toronto native took a time-out out of his busy acting schedule--and from "doing some taxes"--to discuss his latest film, his career and his fart machines with Week in Rewind.

This is part two of a three-part interview.  Part three will appear Thursday.  You can read part one here.

Joel Crabtree: Do you have a favorite of Romero's films?

Devon Bostick: I guess "Night of the Living Dead," (sighs) I don't know. I mean, for me, obviously because of doing "Survival of the Dead," I really like that. That's like, top in my books. Because I'm very connected to it, and there was a lot of work that was put into it, and I feel connected to it that way. That's why it's up there for me. But for the cult members and stuff, "Night of the Living Dead" is always gonna be the classic, I think.

It was interesting, I was talking to one of the castmates, and at the time "Night of the Living Dead" wasn't really received as well — or maybe "Dawn of the Dead" — as it is now. It's true, each time a Romero film comes out there are the few haters out there, and then there's the hardcore fans. He always brings something new, and it's kind of shocking. So, like, "Survival of the Dead," with its Western quirkiness and Romero sort of knowing the genre and acknowledging the one-liners that are funny and stuff, [it] is a little shocking. It's new and different, so it could make people think differently about the film. But I think it's a timeless film, for sure.

JC: With the two "Dead" movies and the "Saw" franchise, you've done a lot of horror films in your career. Is it a genre you gravitate toward?

DB: That's a question I get asked a lot. I don't actually plan on it. Romero and the zombie genre, I love. "Saw," I was following since the first movie. And those films I really wanted to do. But it's not like I have these scripts coming to me and I only pick the horrors on purpose. I love doing really dramatic work, which actually comes through horror sometimes. And also comedy — I love comedy. I try to get as much variety on my resume and on my demo as an actor, but it just so happens in the past few years I did a few horrors back-to-back. But I'm definitely taking a break for a little bit, unless it's a really good one. I'm just not going to take any horror [movie] that comes next.

My criteria is that if it has some substance and intergrity, and if the character can bring something to the script that's unique and different, I'll do it. It's not like: Oh. OK. Horror film. Take it.

JC: So, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," it was a sleeper hit earlier this year. I wanted to ask, who's more terrifying, Romero's undead or your character Rodrick?

DB: Oh, that's a good one. For now, I'd have to say the undead, but if we get to see more Rodrick soon, I may have to shift towards Rodrick. Because he's a pretty terrible person.

JC: With such high-profile projects, have people started recognizing you in public more and more?

DB: Here and there, it depends on where I am. In Toronto, Canada and stuff, I get recognized for "Being Erica," it's a show I do here. It's on Soapnet in America. But in L.A., for sure, when I was down there, there were a lot of kids screaming Rodrick when I was walking around. That's about it. I've never really been recognized for "Saw" or, I mean, "Survival of the Dead's," [which is] not out yet.

I guess I looked different in "Saw"--I had short hair. But yeah, it seems like "The Wimpy Kid" is the one I'm gonna be pegged for.

JC: You've also done a lot of independent films like "Adoration." Do you plan on pursuing more films like that in your career?

DB: For sure. Yeah, like I said, I love any type of film. Sure, it's good to do a big blockbuster and get your face out there and get known. But ... an independent film could have the same amount — if not more — integrity and interesting story to tell, and that's what I look for. I mean, with Atom Egoyan [director of "Adoration"], he's like one of Canada's top-respected directors/writers. Doing that with him has actually made my career. Even though I'm not up on billboards everywhere, it's legitimized it. It really just depends on the project and not the amount of money that's put into it or what genre it is ... it's whether it's good.

I will definitely be doing more independents in Canada. I'm moving to L.A. soon, for a while. But it's my goal to be working here and there. Because there's great projects everywhere.

"Survival of the Dead" is available Friday, April 30, on Amazon, Xbox Live and Playstation 3 video on demand. The film hits theaters Friday, May 28. 

View the trailer for "Survival of the Dead" below.  Look for part three of this interview tomorrow.

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments: