"Until the Light Takes Us" Movie Trailer Review

12/24/2009 Posted by Admin

By our guest blogger, Rob Stammitti

I will begin by stating that I am not nor have I ever been a fan or even vague supporter of Norwegian black metal (or general black metal, Norwegian or otherwise). I also will say that my disinterest in the genre has little to do with the motives or actions of those involved in the genre, but solely because I simply don't like the music. It's noisy, aggravating and repetitive to the point of boredom. So, it should come as no surprise that "Until the Light Takes Us," a documentary regarding the rise and fall of Norwegian black metal as well as the people and motivations behind it, holds very little interest for me.

As the trailer suggests, the film seeks to give the musical movement a chance to explain itself to fans and naysayers alike. Through interviews with several of those involved with bands breaking out at the time, directors Aaron Aites and Audrey Ewell want us to realize that a genre seemingly ingrained with rage and anti-religious sentiment was not all that it seemed, and may have had a much more honest and personal aspect to it underneath all the black, noise and, well, rampant church burnings and brutal murders.

The psychology of music such as this has merit. A lot can be learned about the mind by exploring the work of those who are seemingly disturbed in every possible way (at least, labelled disturbed by most of those who don't approve of their music). I don't care for the music, but surely a certain deal of understanding for the musicians can be gained from such a documentary, so even those like me who don't care a single bit about the genre may get something out of "Until the Light Takes Us." Can't say the stories of murder and arson don't intrigue me. But when I care so little about the music, it's hard to care about those involved in it. So for now, I won't shrug the film off, but I won't be running out to see it.

"Until the Light Takes Us" received a limited release on November 20, 2009. A DVD release is likely forthcoming.

View the trailer for "Until the Light Takes Us" below. Thoughts?

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

1 comments:

  1. Dany said...

    Looks like a promising movie! i wanna watch it soon !