"Social Network" Dominates NBR Awards

12/08/2010 Posted by Admin

"Social Network" Dominates NBR Awards

Movie News

By our guest blogger, Matt Jussim


Back when I first heard about "The Social Network," I admit I was fairly skeptical with the idea of a film about Facebook. But then David Fincher joined on as director and Aaron Sorkin as the writer, and I began to get intrigued about what it could be. After the cast came together with one of my favorite actors (Jesse Eisenberg) as the lead, I truly thought the film would be something special.

After seeing it in theaters, it did not disappoint, and now the National Board of Review seems to agree. With awards season upon us, the critics award races began last week and "The Social Network" pretty much dominated The Nation Board of Review awards, winning four of the main categories.

The film won awards for Best Film, Director (David Fincher), Actor (Jesse Eisenberg) and Adapted Screenplay (Aaron Sorkin). While there were a number of excellent nominees this year, including films such as "The Town" and "Inception," I can't disagree with any of the awards "Network" won.

When I saw it, I felt like it was a "Best Picture"-worthy movie, mainly due to the fantastic script and Fincher's excellent direction. On top of that, the entire cast was excellent alongside Eisenberg, including Andre Garfield and Justin Timberlake.

I'm glad Eisenberg picked up the award for Best Actor, because while I think he is worthy for an Academy Award nomination later on, I also think Colin Firth will take win for "The Kings Speech."

The National Board of Review has had a decent track record the past few years in predicting the Oscar outcome. In the past three years, the National Board of Review winner has twice gone on to win best picture at the Oscars--"No Country for Old Men" in 2007 and "Slumdog Millionaire" in 2008. Last year's winner was "Up in the Air."

The awards will keep coming as the year draws to a close, but it's clear that we'll be hearing a lot more about "The Social Network" in the coming months.

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments: